The class 5 Softswitch
A VoIP service provider may offer services to individuals or to organizations and such clients may choose to make local or national calls. Such service providers cannot simply restrict themselves and their clients to local calls that are served by one type of Softswitch. Though not necessary for a VoIP service provider to include class 5 Softswitch in his setup he will find it is to his advantage. It is also known as hardware-based digital local exchange and helps connect end-users in traditional networks whereas in a VoIP environment it is software-based on SIP protocol that routes the call to the correct IP address, SIP address or a specified DID number. It is the class 5 Softswitch that is the vital link for the end-user and, therefore, important for a profitable VoIP business.
How it works
A caller may make an international call in which case class 5 Softswitch takes care of initiating the call at the VoIP service provider or his customer’s end. This is routed to a class 4 Softswitch that routes it to the destination country and to the local exchange where it is directed to the dialed number as a normal call. It helps save on costs of international telephony. Class 4 works in the background. For end-users and for VoIP providers, it is class 5 that is indispensable. This type of switch carries out a host of functions:
- A user with a standard PSTN device can connect to VoIP through the installed class 5 Softswitch at the VoIP service provider’s end.
- Connections can also be established by using IP phones or adapters connected to the Softswitch.
- Mobile users can just as easily connect using a mobile dialer that interfaces with the Softswitch.
- VoIP service providers can provide services to non-IP device users with class 5 Softswitch from ecosmob.com serving as the vital interfacing link to enable the use of PINless and calling card services.
- Call forwarding, auto-attendant, call rules, call waiting, call conferencing, voice mail, and video conferencing are some of the features possible when the class 5 Softswitch serves as the crucial link and, additionally.
- It helps VoIP service providers maintain records of calls and bill customers automatically.